Thursday, June 28, 2012

Elbert

Got the ok from the doc that I could start light workouts and that my eyes are fine and healing nicely.  Grabbed some gear and headed to Leadville to play on Mt. Elbert.
Set my alarm for 4;45am to get up the mountain early.  The rain was coming down and being the baby that I am, I don't like to get wet, I rolled over and went back to bed.  By 6:30am the rain stopped and 7:15am I was out my car door.  I felt good all the way up, climbed strong and ran most of the down.  Passed about 50 kids from the Colorado Mountain College first ascent program going up and down.  This is a summer camp for kids, they get to explore the big mountains and mountain activities.(rock climbing, big mountains and whitewater rafting) Talked to a few of the CMC guides and  also ran into a girl from Cincinnati and another lady wearing a Oil Creek 100 shirt.  Well wasn't I just Mr. chatterbox.
The skinny on Elbert:


Mt. Elbert
My 20th 14er
My 18th Colorado 14er out of 55
Highest mountain in Colorado standing at a whopping 14, 433 ft above sea level
I started out from the North Mount Elbert Trailhead at 10, 050 ft.
The summit trail utilizes a small portion of the Colorado Trail. 
All Class one, which is non-technical and a hike up. 
I summited from the northeast side 













1 comment:

ultrarunnergirl said...

Beautiful pictures! Congrats on your 20th 14er!

And yeah, that's how I think of you, Bill the big baby ...